Lebanon Christian Church has her roots among the Baptists in York County. In 1825 a congregation was influenced by the teaching of "reformers" such as Peter Ainslie.
These men preached that the church should return to the "Bible Only" for the doctrines and practices of the church. This congregation became known as the "cheesecake" church. At first the shared an old abandoned Episcopalian Church building with a Baptist congregation. Later they found themselves locked out of the building
|The Church moved to Warwick County in 1834 and began building a new log building across the road from out present location. This building burned mysteriously before completion. Until 1853 the Church met in a slab house which had been erected by those who had labored on the burned building. It was used two years as a place of worship, school house and community meeting place. It too was burned.|
In 1859 work began on a permanent brick structure at our present location. It was at this time that the Church name was changed to Lebanon. It was an appropriate choice. Like Solomon's Temple being built from the forest of Lebanon, this church house and pews were built from the trees on location.
The Congregation did not enjoy their new building long due to the coming of the Civil War. During the early months of the war services were suspended. In 1861 the building was used by Colonel Goode of the Mecklenburg Calvary of the Confederacy as a commissary. In 1862 General George B. McClellan with Federal troops occupied the entire area and used the building as a horse stable. Sometime in the 1860's or early 1870's services were resumed at Lebanon thanks to the efforts of Mrs. Maria Curtis who lived across the road at End View Farm.
At the turn of the century Lebanon experienced a period of growth and development which continued until the beginning of WWI when services were again suspended. After the war, services were resumed. The Ladies Aid and Missionary Societies were organized. New pews, new carpet and new furniture were a result of these ladies efforts. The Civil War damaged balcony was restored at this time. It was a copy of the one used for slaves before the war except for its entryway was moved inside.
Lebanon Christian Church
409 Yorktown Road
Newport News (Lee Hall), VA 23603
Phone: 757 887-5536
Nursery - High School
|Adult Bible Fellowships||Sunday||9:30 AM|
|Morning Worship Service||Sunday||10:45 AM|
Children’s and teen Bible School will resume in September.